Heartbreaking photos show an elephant mother carrying around the body of her baby calf for days after the baby elephant had passed away. The pictures were captured at Namibia’s Twyfelfontein Country Lodge, showing the mom carrying the calf around using her trunk.
William Stegmann, a spokesperson for the Twyfelfontein Country Lodge told Newsweek that the elephant was born on October 27th, 2022, to a group of elephants in the Huab River.
“From the first day, the baby was not very strong and struggled to keep up with the herd as they trek long distances to reach drinking water,” Stegmann told Newsweek. “On the 28th, the guides still saw the baby, but we speculate that she must have passed away during the evening. The heart-wrenching photo was taken on the morning of the 29th.”
The mother only placed the calf down to eat, and after two days, the matriarch chased the mother away from the dead body, and the herd moved on together, according to Twyfelfontein Country Lodge.
This is not something uncommon to see in elephants, They are intelligent and sentient creatures with emotions. They are highly social creatures, and the females live in close family groups and are led by a matriarch.
Source: Wonderbot Animals/YouTube
Elephant mothers carry their babies for around two years. Many believe this could be why it is so hard for mothers to lose their babies. However, Newsweek reported that the calf-carrying behavior could be a sign of a lack of understanding that the baby has died rather than grief.
We must remember each elephant has a unique story and is capable of the same emotional depth as humans. We are glad that this mother was able to grieve her baby outside of captivity and has her groups to help her get through this hard time
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based recipe app on the App Store to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take the initiative by standing up against fast fashion pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that are raising awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turns petition into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petition to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!